People today use all kinds of excuses as to why they do not go to church. Have you heard these?
- Hypocrites go there
- I can have church at home
- I am the church
- The early church didn’t meet in a huge building
- Church is a club
- I don’t need church, I am alright
- I am not good enough to go. (too many sins).
- I don’t feel welcomed.
- Jesus didn’t go to church
Let us talk about this. I mean really talk about this. I have heard Christians..yes CHRISTIANS say this! First off, when the world knows that you are a Christian, they assume you go to church. Why do you suppose? Because even though they themselves may not be a Christians they know that that is where Christians go. Because it is like a “club” for those of faith go to be around like minded people. So if the world gets it then why don’t Christians?
They are watching us (the world) They look to us and they see what sets us apart.
Okay here we go…
Hypocrites go there
So people who are sinners go to church? Why do you suppose they are going? To learn about God. To be a better Christian. “But they point out my flaws while they themselves have many” Who is perfect among us? No one! No not one! 2 Corinthians 3:18 “So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord–who is the Spirit–makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.” SO until the Lord returns we will not be perfect. But we are being changed, renewed, and transformed into the image that will reflect Christ.
I can have church at home-I am not good enough
These are often said to me . Firs thing I notice with these statements (and mistake me if i am wrong) but, I many just plan do not want accountability. Pride being the other issue along with not wanting to be a part of “organized religion.”
Question: Are you reading your bible while you are at home? Because it clearly says that we are to “not forsake the assembling of one another”(Hebrews 10:25) Okay so you are having friends over for discussions about the Lord. Is this a “practice” thing you do? The early church met daily too. That was how the early church started. I get that. That is okay. That is church yes. If that is what you do, there is nothing wrong with that. But is it that you don’t want accountability? (Many pastors even have opened up churches that are non-denominational. They don’t want to be held accountable for how they “run” the church or what they teach-different topic/another blog)
- Accountability-Some do not go because they just do not want to be around people who can hold them accountable for their actions.- “There will be people who will tell me what I should and shouldn’t do. And why should I listen to them when they are just as messed up as I am?” Believe it or not, there are legitimate Christians, who are in church, who truly care about your walk and who are not hypocrites. They are the ones that are the TRUE Christ followers and who ARE living for the Lord as scripture speaks of. These Christians, are the ones that “carry one another’s burdens”(Galatians 6:2) “pray for one another”(James 5:16) “whoever saves one from destruction” (James 5:20) ..etc. They care and genuinely love you. As Christ asks us to do.
- Stubborn pride- “I am my own church,” “I am not good enough,” “all it is is a club”..ugh.. I could go on about this. But I am going to make my point simple, GET OVER YO-SELF! (sorry that was my flesh rising up) Read scripture. You CAN NOT walk this life on your own.Yes, you have Jesus, that is all you need. But, scripture, no God even designed us to be with one another. “it is not good for man to be alone”(Genesis 2:18), “two are better than one” (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12), “teaching another” (Colossians 3:16) Just to point out a few verses. We need each other too. Many who go to church do not feel “good enough”. I know I don’t “feel” good enough. I know I am a sinner. But, I know that I am forgiven, I still mess up some days more than others. So welcome to the club. Ha! What better “club” to be apart of then one where you are with people of like mindedness? At least we then can all grow together, help each other, sharpen each other in the word. And oh!…have fun with another. Yes, Christians who go to church do have fun!
- Organized religion-“A structured system of faith or worship, especially one followed by a large number of people“(English Oxford Living Dictionary) Wait..whats wrong with that? (okay I am sorry.. I will be nice) So, you don’t want to “go with the flow” you don’t want to do “what everyone else is doing”? Awesome! Jesus didn’t either. He saw that organized religion was getting too….organized? (lol) Meaning, rules and ritual based etc. It wasn’t following how God intended it to be. Yes, God wants obedience but, the priests were making things difficult with all the compromising-rules-to-justify-their-sins..stuff! Don’t get me wrong, God is a God of order. But, what the priest were doing, what some churches do, is not what God wants. If it is not all for Gods glory but mans, then it is wrong. If it is vain repetition, it is wrong. We are to Let the Holy Spirit have His way. Meaning , listening to Him speak. A church that puts God first,and not the leadership, will be a “blessed by God” church.
TO BE CONTINUED…